Animal Nursing Assistant
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hardworking person to join our friendly team; a love of animals and a strong desire to work with people is a must for this job.
This role is ideal for anyone wanting to work with animals and to take their first steps to becoming a Veterinary Nurse, as there may be an opportunity to progress to a student veterinary nurse position in the future.
Some prior work experience with animals would be an advantage.
Full training will be given on the job and all tasks will be carried out under the supervision of a qualified Veterinary Nurse and/or Veterinary Surgeon. The role of an ANA is varied and no two days are ever the same in a veterinary practice, but you will be involved in
- Assisting veterinary nurses, student nurses and vets when caring for and treating patients
- Exercising, grooming and feeding patients
- Handling and holding patients for examination and treatment
- Cleaning and preparing accommodation for patients
- Cleaning kennels, carriers and bedding and maintenance of the kennel environment.
- Maintaining the practice environment to include cleaning of all areas to a high standard, such as consulting rooms, theatres, kennel areas, preparation areas and dispensary.
- Getting prescribed medications and treatments ready for collection (under supervision)
- Maintenance of stock to include unpacking the daily delivery.
- Reception and telephone duties, including use of computer systems, taking payments, making appointments, handling queries and advising clients on preventative health care
- Laboratory work, including sample handling, basic testing and packaging for analysis
- Record keeping
You can find out more by visiting our Veterinary Nursing article
You must have GCSEs at grade C (or the equivalent) or above in English and Maths. Grade C or above in Science would also be an advantage.
This is a full time position for Monday-Friday working a shift of 8am – 4pm or 11am – 7pm (depending on the rota) plus some Saturday mornings.
You will be expected to complete the Animal Nursing Assistant course while employed at Castle Vets. Your registration fees and course will be paid for by Castle Vets and you will be assigned a mentor within the practice to help you with your training and the ANA course.
Please note that we cannot guarantee that training as an ANA at Castle Vets will lead to a Student Veterinary Nurse placement with us in the future.
Please apply in writing with a C.V. and covering letter, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Friday 12th October 2018